Things I liked about the book: I thought it was spiritually uplifting. He quoted a lot of scripture on how much God loves children. I like how he brought up the point that people are having less children just because it is convenient for them and they are selfish (This is not true in all cases, but is a growing trend in our society).
Things I didn't like: It made my blood pressure soar to consider the idea of God giving Ryan and I as many children as he wants. I know this sounds like a faithless thing to say, but I get pregnant easy and am young, so as I read I envisioned me at the age of 40 (having had children at least every 2 years) with roughly 10 children. I think I would be praying to go through menopause at the age of 40 so that I wouldn't have 11, 12, or 13 children. (They don't believe in permanent sterilization either).
My personal view: I feel that what the LDS church says on the matter is true.
"Children are one of the greatest blessings in life, and their birth into loving and nurturing families is central to God’s purposes for humanity. When husband and wife are physically able, they have the privilege and responsibility to bring children into the world and to nurture them. The decision of how many children to have and when to have them is a private matter for the husband and wife."
We each know what we can handle. Why we are choosing to have the amount of children we are choosing to have. If we are curtailing the amount we choose to have for selfish reasons then I do believe that is wrong.
What are your opinions about this issue? I know everyone has views on this subject.

5 comments:
Well, as one who had 9 children, I agree with what the church says. The only regret I have is that I spaced them out too far. The span from 28 yrs. to 51 yrs. is too far. Its all worked out well though...Rach grew up with 4 grand kids her age.
Mom
Like you I totally agree with what the church says. I have a hard time hearing people say stuff like "The Lord's in charge so why use birth control". Yeah the Lord's hand is in it but I think he expects us to use common sense as well. I don't think the Lord expects people to have a ton of kids if they can't physically, mentally or finacially handle it. That's just my thoughts.
And Congratulations on your new baby that's coming. That's so exciting!! We're actually thinking about having another one soon too.
I agree Aub...kids thrive on individual attention.
I think you worded it perfectly. (is worded a word? :)) Every family has to follow those promptings as to when the time is right. I am sure my family would love to ask us, "you do know how people get pregnant right?" Since we have ours so close together :) but luckily, they're respectful.
I could have sworn I left a comment on this post. My thoughts are I agree with the church but add in-when they are financially able, not just physically like the quote says. And I don't mean it like how people say they will have kids when they can 'afford it' because keeping food on the table without government assistance {which is what i'm referring to} and buying thousands of $ worth of Christmas presents are 2 different things. We don't need to spoil them, we just need to love them...and be able to feed them.
Post a Comment